Two stages of your little one’s sleep
Sleep is an important part of your baby daily routine. Quality sleep and getting enough of it at the right times is as essential to survival as food and water. Without sleep babies can not form or maintain the pathways of their little brains that let them create memories, and it is harder to concentrate and respond quickly.
Sleep is important to a number of brain functions, including how nerve cells communicate with each other. Baby brain and body stay remarkably active while sleeping. Recent studies suggest that sleep plays a housekeeping role that removes toxins their little brains build up while they are awake.
Two stages of sleep
At this very early point in their life, babies are alternating between two stages of sleep, non-rapid eye moment (Non REM) and rapid-eye movement(REM) phase. Newborn spend half of their time in each stage and their sleep cycle is about 50 minutes long.
– REM is a light and active sleep in which the baby may jerk arms or legs and eyes move under closed eyelids. Although babies spend around 16 hours sleeping per day, about half of this is in this REM sleep. Older children and adults sleep fewer hours in this sleep.
– Non REM is a phase that incudes 3 stages. Each stage can last from 5 to 15 minutes.
- First stage : Babies eyes are closed, bit it is very easy for a baby to wake up. This phase may last from 5 to 10 minutes.
- Second stage : Baby is in light sleep. Heart rate slows and body temperature drops. Baby body is getting ready for a deep sleep.
- Third stage: This is the deep sleep stage. It is harder to wake baby up during this stage, and if someone wakes baby up, the little one would feel disoriented for a few minutes. During deep stages of Non Rem sleep, the body repairs, builds bone and muscle, and strengthens the immune system.
As baby gets older, he or she sleep more lightly and get less deep sleep. Aging is also linked to shorter length of sleep, according to studies. Every baby is different and we are sure that soon after your baby is born, you will understand her or his needs and you will give your best to make their routines perfect.